Last weekend's warm weather got us excited for the summer time, i.e. bbq season! So, this week's recipe is a cricket powder bean burger. The patties we created are pack with nutrients including protein, vitamin B12, iron, and more, making it a delicious and healthy alternative to "classic" burgers that everyone is sure to love! Sustainable fuel for a sustained energy!
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3/4 cup yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 egg
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 1/3 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup rolled oats, processed into a coarse meal
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1-2 tbsp Näak cricket powder
- 3/4 tsp fine sea salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp tamari
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Add the drained black beans to a large mixing bowl. Mash the beans until 2/3 of them become a bean "paste" while leaving about 1/3 of the beans mostly intact.
- Sauté the onion and garlic in a skillet on medium heatuntil the onion softens. Transfer the onion mixture into the large bowl.
- Add the egg, grated carrots, cilantro, sunflower seeds, tamari, chili powder, oregano, cumin, and cricket powder to the large bowl and stir until thoroughly combined.
- Stir in the oats and bread crumbs until the mixture comes together. Stir in the salt and pepper, to taste.
- Shape the dough into 8 patties (roughly 1/3 cup of dough per patty). Pack the dough together tightly as this will help it stick together. Place onto a lined baking sheet.
- Bake patties for 15 minutes, gently flip, and bake for another 15 to 20 minutes.
- Let the patties cool down for 15 minutes.
- Serve with your desired toppings and enjoy!
More recipes here!